Take your favorite mug on a magic carpet ride with this adorable and super easy Mug Rug free crochet pattern! Not only will these protect your tables, but they also make for great decor. Most certainly, your guests will be asking where you got them. Then, you can tell them you made them yourself!
MUG RUG FREE CROCHET PATTERN
Crafter’s Secret Cotton Yarn (available at Hobby Lobby)
Stitches, Terms & Abbreviations:
Ch – chain
DC – double crochet
SC – single crochet
Row 1: Sc in 2nd chain from hook. * DC, SC *. Repeat across. DC in last stitch. Chain 1. Turn. (14)
Row 2: * SC, DC * Repeat across. Chain 1. Turn. (14)
Row 3-15: Repeat row 2. (14)
Fasten off. Weave in ends.
Attaching Frayed Ends:
Cut lengths of yarn to use for end fray. I used two yarn pieces per stitch, at approximately 2.5” in length each. Make a loop with your two pieces of yarn and, using a crochet hook, pull through your stitch part way. Make a knot by pulling all the ends (now 4 of them) through your loop. Gently pull tight. Do this all the way across both ends of your mug rug.
Why I Used Cotton Yarn:
Be sure to use non-acrylic fibers when making any items that will be exposed to heat, such as a hot coffee mug. Acrylic fibers have the potential to melt when exposed to heat. The cotton yarn I suggested above would be great, or any natural fiber that should not melt when exposed to heat.
Share With Us
When you’re finished with your new mug rugs, I’d love for you to share a photo with us. Here are some ways you can do that:
- Instagram: Click the link to find my profile, follow me and tag #thehookingreader
- The Crafty Cabin: Join our crafting group! Not just for crochets, but all things crafty!
- Pinterest: Get inspired with more free and paid patterns, as well as fun kids crafts.
- Not a crocheter, but interested in some of these mug rugs? No problem! Send me a message at my Facebook Page.
- If you want to learn some basics of crochet, head to YouTube.