It can be Christmas year-round when you make a small drum ornament with this Drum Ornament Crochet Pattern. Hang it on the tree or use it as a small toy for the kids. This Drum Ornament Crochet Pattern works up fairly quickly for an Easy-level crocheter, or even for a beginner. Once you have yours finished, we’d love to have you join us in The Crafty Cabin and show us your work.
- 3.5mm Crochet Hook
- Worsted Weight (4) Yarn (see Yarn Used)
- Fiber Fill/Stuffing
- Option: Cardboard to help hold the shape of the drum
- I Love This Yarn! Solids – Ivory
- I Love This Yarn! Solids – Red
- I Love This Yarn! Solids – Sungold
Terms & Stitches to Know
- blo – back loop only
- dec – decrease
- inc – increase: place 2 stitches in the stitch
- mc – Magic Circle
- sc – single crochet
Instructions for the Drum Ornament Crochet Pattern
Base of Drum
1. To begin, make a Magic Circle (or alternate.)
2. 6 sc in MC. (6)
3. inc in each stitch around. (12)
4. * 1 sc in next stitch. inc in next. * Repeat 5 more times. (18)
5. * inc in next stitch. 1 sc in each of the next 2 stitches. * Repeat 5 more times. (24)
6. * 1 sc in each of the next 3 stitches. inc in next stitch. * Repeat 5 more times. (30)
7. In the blo, sc in each stitch around. (30)
8. 1 sc in each stitch around. (30)
9. 1 sc in each stitch around. (30)
10. 1 sc in each stitch around. (30)
11. * In the blo, 1 sc in each of the next 3 stitches. dec. * Repeat 5 more times. (24)
12. * 1 sc in each of the next 2 stitches. dec. * Repeat 5 more times. (18) Start stuffing here. In order to help keep the shape, you can also insert a small piece of cardboard.
13. * 1 sc in the next stitch. dec. * Repeat 5 more times. (12)
14. dec around. (6)
15. Then, slip stitch into the opposite side of the hole from where your hook is. At this point, we’re going to make a loop to hang out of chain stitches.
16. Chain 25 (less or more if you want a shorter or longer loop.)
17. Then, slip stitch back near where you started to complete your loop. Fasten off and weave in ends. (See photos below for how the drum ornament crochet pattern looks at this point.)
Making the Rims for the Drum Ornament Crochet Pattern
18. Join Red yarn from the TOP into one of the unused front loops on the bottom rim of the drum (see photo.) Joining from the top will make a difference in how your slip stitches come out. Then, slip stitch into the TOP of each each unused front loop around. Slip stitch back into the first sl st. (31 total sl st) Fasten off and weave in red ends.
19. Repeat step 18, but on the top rim of the drum. Remember, you’re still slip stitching from the TOP into the unused front loop. (31 total sl st) Fasten off and weave in red ends.
20. Next, cut a long piece (about 12″) of Sungold yarn. Embroider on your diagonals, spacing the gaps from each point about 1″ between. Weave in ends.
With how fast this year is going, Christmas is going to be here before I know it. I’ll be glad to have this ornament ready for my tree when the time comes. I’d love to see yours now, or when Christmas rolls around. Share it with us by checking out the links below.
Find Noisy Critters in All the Places
Share all of your creations and crafts with us in The Crafty Cabin Facebook Group.
Get some kids’ craft and activity ideas on my Facebook Page.
Get inspired on Pinterest.
See behind the scenes of Noisy Critters and enjoy some mom and craft humor over on Instagram.
Be the first to know about all the things, including tutorials and free patterns by signing up for my email list.