For whatever reason, the double crochet is one of my favorite basic stitches. I find it so relaxing and therapeutic to repeat over and over again. You can think I’m crazy, I’m okay with that! Either way, learn with this double crochet stitch tutorial. I’ve provided it written out with step-by-step photos, as well as a video tutorial embedded at the bottom of the post.
What You Need
- Crochet Hook
- Any type/weight of yarn
Step-by-Step Instructions for the Double Crochet Stitch Tutorial
1. Create your slip knot.
2. Make a chain for as many double crochet stitches you want in a row. At the end of that chain, add 2 more chain stitches for a turning chain. In my pictures, I did a chain of 12 total.
3. Yarn over, then insert your hook into the 3rd chain from your hook. Yarn over again, and draw up a loop. You should now have 3 loops on your hook.
4. Yarn over, then pull through the first two loops on your hook.
5. Yarn over, then pull through both loops on your hook. That’s it! You’ve made your first double crochet stitch!
6. Continue steps 3-5 until you reach the end of the row.
7. At the end of the row, chain 2, then turn your work over to work the next row.
8. Yarn over, and insert your hook into the stitch. Yarn over again, and draw up a loop (3 loops on your hook.)
9. Yarn over, then pull through the first two loops on your hook.
10. Yarn over, then pull through both loops on your hook.
11. Continue steps 8-10 to complete your row. Make sure you are counting your stitches and don’t miss that last stitch of the row.
12. Complete steps 7-10 for as many rows as your project needs.
Have your double crochet stitch tutorial down? Now you have the skills to make one of my lovey blankets!
Video for the Double Crochet Stitch Tutorial
Find The Hooking Reader
Come see behind the scenes, along with some fun stuff about books and craft humor on Instagram.
You can also find me on Facebook.
Get inspired on Pinterest.
See more tutorials on YouTube.
Find all of my premium patterns in my shop.